- Organ major at Kent State University, BMus 1978. I was sad when the organ dept. at KSU closed, some time ago.
- Started as organ major at Rice, switched to Music Theory (MMus, 1981).
- DPhil Oxford 1989 on the notation of European keyboard music, 1500-1700. I can send you a PDF if you're interested; I think it's available at RILM if you have access there.
- Taught at CSU Fresno, 1989-93: history and theory courses. The course I most enjoyed teaching was "Stravinsky in Fresno," a grad seminar (1991). I gave a paper about it at a CMS meeting the following year; it convinced me strongly of the importance of local history.
- Moved to Philadelphia with my wife Cristle Collins Judd when she took a post at Penn in 1993
- Took up the AMS ED position half-time 9/96
- Position increased to .75-time mid-97; full-time fall 2009
- I haven't had time to do very much research since taking up the AMS position. Some of my interests are reflected in stuff I've put up at Academia.edu. I was quite pleased with both the "Synecdoche in Music" and "Music as Spiritual Combat" papers, and hope to return to these topics one day.
- Among other duties, I am the point person for the AMS web site, Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube accounts; The AMS Communications Committee oversees these elements of the AMS.
- I enjoy corresponding and talking with members. Drop me a note if you like, and feel free to phone (see the footer for the office tel.). If you're in New York and would like to meet up, let me know.
- You can also send notes anonymously, if you wish.