The Call For Papers page offers carefully-prepared guidelines for proposal submission. Further questions will be answered at this web page as they arise. If you have a question that is not addressed here yet, please send it to Robert Judd.
- I want to submit a Seminar Topic proposal. Can I also submit a normal paper proposal?
If the Seminar Topic is accepted, the answer is no; seminar conveners (organizers) are considered the equivalent of Formal Session or Alternative Format Session organizers.
- I was a Formal Session (or Alternative Format Session, or Seminar) organizer in 2018. Can I also submit a proposal for 2019?
No; session organizers are to take a one-year hiatus from submitting proposals.
- I'm submitting a Formal Session proposal. Where do I include the names of session chair? Should I include participant names?
Please include the name of your proposed session chair as the last line of the Rationale, e.g. "We propose _______ as session chair." Names of participants are collected in the online form when one submits each proposal. Please do not include participant names in the body of the rationale text; the proposal read by the committee should be anonymous.
- May I submit a proposal even if I am not a member?
- If I was the organizer of an Evening Panel in 2018, am I correct to think that I would not be permitted to submit an individual proposal in 2019, but if I were just to have contributed to the discussion in 2018, I would be permitted to submit an individual proposal in 2019?
Yes, that is a correct reading of the guidelines.
- If I presented a poster in 2018 may I submit a proposal in 2019?
No. Poster presentations are the equivalent of presenting a paper or organizing a session.
- I am worried that my electronic proposal will be garbled. Should I submit both paper and electronic proposals?
No. It merely creates clerical confusion. You will receive an email receipt after submitting your proposal, assuring that it is in hand. If there is any question regarding your submission the office will communicate with you.
- I prefer email: can I just email a document to you?
No. Emailed proposal submissions will not be considered.
- Can I submit a paper proposal and be named in more than one additional (evening panel, alternative format) proposal?
No. Submit proposals only for those things that are permitted should everything submitted be approved. Since a maximum of two appearances per person are permitted, your name may be submitted on a maximum of two proposals.
- Are proposals read anonymously (i.e., with the names of participants hidden from the committee)?
Mostly. Evening Panels and Alternative Format proposals are read openly, and all the names of participants are given to readers (and should be included in the proposal). But individual proposals and formal sessions are read anonymously until the final stages of the committee's work.
- My proposal has more than one author; how do I indicate that in the online system?
Those submitting individual proposals and poster proposals may add additional author(s). See the submission form: enter names at the "Additional author(s)" field located in the "Your Information" box.
- May I submit two paper proposals if they are on entirely different subjects?
Nor may you submit a paper proposal and poster presentation/evening panel/alternative format session proposal. One proposal per person is permitted.
- I participated in an Alternative Format session in 2018. Can I also submit an individual presentation proposal or participate in a panel in 2019?
Yes. Only organizers of sessions are restricted. Organizers of sessions in 2018 may not submit individual presentation proposals (but they may participate in panels).
- I'm organizing a Study Group proposal. How do I submit this for Program Committee consideration?
This would apply only if you wish to hold a daytime session (Alternative Format or Formal Session). Submit as you would any AF or FS. Identify the study group sponsorship in the text of the proposal.
- When submitting an Evening Panel or Alternative Format proposal: does the word limit include the proposal title? The participant names?
The word limit includes the participant names, but not the proposal title.
- I am concerned about the word count. Should I email a copy, just in case?
No. If there is a problem with your submission's length, we will contact you.
Question not answered? Send it and it will be added it to this list!